Thursday, August 14, 2008

Illustration Friday: SAIL, UPDATE


I Could not resist! I had to redo this illustration with acrylics, my medium of preference. Every time I looked at the color pencils version, it just seemed unfinished, washed out and not quite right. As much as I liked the colors, I felt the background was fighting with the main characters. I fixed a couple of other things that were bugging me like the feet of the boy on the left. They were too small and made him look off balance. I think now he's more anchored.  I also made the frog bigger.
This is a quick post, and maybe the last one for another week. We are gearing up for the beginning of another school year, and getting up early, making it to school on time, homework, and after school activities will make next week CRAZY!
 

8 comments:

Dragana Savkov - Bajić said...

Nice illustration. Beautiful colours. :)

Mercedes De La Jara said...

Impressionant style and fantastic composition !

Bella Sinclair said...

Oooooh, I didn't think it could get better, but you did it. The richer colors of the acrylics is really something. I like the new blue sky. It balances the blue of the water really beautifully. And you're right about it putting more focus on the boys. I don't work much with colored pencils, but I read at my new blogger-friend's place that she sometimes covers her colored pencil work with varnish, which gives it an oil paint look. If you're interested, you can ask her: http://debrossart.blogspot.com/

Good luck getting through next week. Always tough getting adjusted again, isn't it.

Unknown said...

oh wow!! it looks amazing Edrian...great call and you can tell this is your favorite medium!!!

C.B. Canga said...

cool blog here.

Edrian said...

Thanks everyone!
I'm glad that everyone can see an improvement.
Diana, yes, I guess I have grown to be comfortable with acrylics. I have always liked colored pencils, but just can't get the same effects.
Bella, thank you for the referral. I will be checking out that site and will look for tips!
Ohhh, I'm not looking forward to next week. It's a lot of running around and clock watching, because every minute counts! I guess those lazy days of summer are over! sigh!

platitudinal said...

Ah, Edrian, this is a lovely piece. It breathes simple joy of innocence where it is a thrill to have a paper sailboat race. When my son was small he used to pick up leaves and let them race each other on the sprinkler water that overflowed to the street. I must bow to you in your pursue for excellence in your art. I hope you now can sigh happily with great satisfaction when you gaze at this beautiful painting :)

Unknown said...

Lovely!!